What's with the name?

What's with the name? In my mid-twenties, I had essentially gone through one kind of life and am starting to enter another. The people that are probably going to read this blog know exactly what I'm talking about - but for those who don't know, here's a brief rundown . Cheers to Chapter 2! A journey in health in many ways, and to be the best version of myself I can possibly be. I am also a blogger for GreenMommas.com. This is my blog.

Monday, January 24, 2011

You can't get what you pay for, anymore

Apartment hunting continues, and it is (*sigh) entirely disappointing. I remember when I used to rent, it was not too long ago. Maybe 5 years or so. I remember a time where $1100 a month would get you a brand new, 3 floor condo with all the bells and whistles. So, what's happened between now and then? Seriously, what? In this search for apartments, $1100 seems to get you tiny rooms, a beat up kitchen and a few windows if you are lucky. Normally, this wouldn't be so frustrating for me. I can make a crappy apartment in to something better looking than it is with some nice furniture and wall art. But, this time around, I have to consider another person...my son. I find myself scrutinizing every inch of every apartment, thinking if it would be safe and acceptable for my precious little boy. None has passed that test yet. If he can't play in the yard (if there is a yard) without the risk of being hit by a car, it's not ok. If there are partying tenants on the second floor that are loud and prevent him from getting a good night's sleep, that's not ok. If I have to worry about the heating system crashing in the middle of the night because it's so darn old and I have to have a stack of comforters on hand just in case, that's not ok. You get where I'm going with this? I have to have really high standards for a place of living because I don't want where I decide to live to affect his quality of life. And it very surely can, in a good or bad way.

So that's where that stands. I may be insanely picky about my next dwelling but it's for a damn good reason.

Pretty exited about February, even if it does involve some moving. Really decent shows headed to Burlington, VT. Starting off with Lyrics Born, 2/2 at Metronome . Looking forward to seeing the New Deal for the first time on 2/4. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings bring their soulful funkiness back to higher ground on on 2/11. Big Gigantic, one of my favorite finds of last year will be in the Higher Ground Ballroom 2/17. If there is one I could recommend to you, you will not be disappointed in Big Gigantic. Music will encompass my February with some Valentine's day celebrations somewhere in the middle. You can get tickets for the HG shows here.

I have found two new tracks (well one is a remix) that I can't get enough of this week, see below :

Hot Chip - I Feel Better by HOTCHIP

Cold War Kids - Mine Is Yours (Passion Pit Remix) by Pretty Much Amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment