What's with the name?

What's with the name? In my mid-twenties, I had essentially gone through one kind of life and am starting to enter another. The people that are probably going to read this blog know exactly what I'm talking about - but for those who don't know, here's a brief rundown . Cheers to Chapter 2! A journey in health in many ways, and to be the best version of myself I can possibly be. I am also a blogger for GreenMommas.com. This is my blog.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Bad, The Good and the De-caffeination

I love lattes, it's no secret. The cafe at work makes some good ones, flavored with agave vanilla mmmm. In the new year I'm on this "getting healthier" kick. I want to live a long life and enjoy all life has to offer me. That means getting rid of some of the bad (not all I can't give up Cosmos), and doing some more good for myself. I have come to the decision to finally quit caffeine. I should be getting my energy from a good night's sleep and good food anyway. I'm three days in, and it's not too bad. I do feel a little more sluggish than usual but I think I need to catch up from some sleep I lost New Year's Eve weekend. It's proven a little difficult when I have to walk past Speeder and Earl's twice a day and I can smell the deliciousness. But hopefully I will maintain a decaf lifestyle.

So why,  you ask, can I not give Cosmos up? If you don't know, a cosmo (or cosmopolitan) is a lady's martini, maybe the official Sex and the City drink? Vodka, triple sec (or Cointreau if it's a really delicious one), cranberry juice and some lime. Already delicious just like that, I make 'em at home that way. Thursdays Noah and I have our little "night out" and unwind for the end of the week. Our ritual is hang out at Drink : he has $2 pints of Switchback and I indulge in their wonderfully awesome "Candy Cosmo", and we exchange that week's story with the bartender. I know what you're thinking, how could a Cosmo get better? Well it does. They have a selection of infused vodkas there, even a Jolly Rancher infused one...that's what goes in the "Candy Cosmo". I can't give those up. It's not so much the taste and the effect of the alcohol. It's more of the quality unwind time I get to spend with him and get out in to Burlington world and hang out with people my own age. It's when I can relax and let my identity of being a mom float out of the picture for a few hours. It's my sanity, really. Drink Thursdays. [Don't worry I share 50% custody of my son with his dad, although I have seen a few people bring their kids in to a bar in my over 21 lifetime].

That's my indulgenece. I am trying to pick and choose them wisely, but Drink Thursday is one I just can't part with. We all need a little, or sometimes a lot of fun. Caffeine is one of those things that is probably wise and not too hard for me to give up. Here's an indulgence for you:


"And it's alright
It's alright
Bright lights and the big city
It belongs to us tonight

Yes I need it
Everybody does
Cocktails and conversation
Music and making love"

No comments:

Post a Comment