What's with the name?

What's with the name? In my mid-twenties, I had essentially gone through one kind of life and am starting to enter another. The people that are probably going to read this blog know exactly what I'm talking about - but for those who don't know, here's a brief rundown . Cheers to Chapter 2! A journey in health in many ways, and to be the best version of myself I can possibly be. I am also a blogger for GreenMommas.com. This is my blog.

Friday, July 6, 2012

When kale becomes your new favorite thing [A Reflection - 4 months in]

I had my final weigh-in of our weight loss [Slim it to win it] competition on Monday. Although I only lost 4 pounds in June, I lost 28 total - in four months! I was stuck on the four pounds though - I had been losing twice that in a months' time in the previous three months. When I start not to see the results I want, that's when I tend to waiver in my fitness/nutrition plan. I get frustrated too easily.

In attempt to shake off my frustration with my 'measly' four pounds, I tried to focus on other accomplishments. What could I do today that I couldn't four months ago? The list started forming quickly. I had jogged a 5k in the last week of June in under 40 minutes (thats about 6 min shorter than when I first tried to attempt it earlier this year in much more of a walk/slow jog style). Ok. Well, that's pretty good. I can tackle a full set of tricep dips - actually lifting most of my body weight up and down with that muscle group in stead of resting my butt on the step and just pretending because I was too heavy to lift the weight, and not strong enough. Hmmm, better. I can hold my own weight up in a wall sit for a minute even with a 10lb weight on my lap. Without going on and on, you get the point here. I am very noticeably STRONGER. Which means I have not only lost pounds of fat, but in that four months had gained a ton [not literally] of muscle. That IS an accomplishment. I try not to focus on the number so much, the scale can definitely be one of my best friends or my worst enemy depending on the day.

Back on the scale this morning - already down another 2lbs this week - which means - 30lbs!!!@@@!!! Pretty cool. This afternoon I went to get lunch and saw the kale at the cafe. My brain had this reaction that told my stomach 'kale sounds delicious'. Decadent, almost. I had to chuckle a little at this though, my body is actually craving good healthy food. Yes, it still sometimes craves junk. Kale (fresh from our garden) is probably one of my favorite things to eat right now.

A lot has happened in four months, and it went by fast. I have to remember this as I continue on (hoping to meet my ultimate goal by March 2013). A little bragging here - I was #5 out of 81 people in our weight loss competition. I didn't win, but I felt like I did, and that's what matters.

A few weeks ago, I made laundry soap for the first time. It was SO easy, and cheap. Washing soda, borax, castile soap, water. That's it. It cleans clothes so well! You won't even need dryer sheets - the static is non-existent. If you want (like I did), you can add a few drops of essential oil(s), but I found you won't smell it on your clothes anyway. Here's the recipe I used if you're interested:

Melt 1 cup castile soap shavings in 16oz of water in a large pot
Add 1 cup borax and 1 cup washing soda
Add 1 gallon water to the pot, heat until everything is incorporated
Let cool completely then add 5-10 drops essential oils if you like)

This was actually a half batch, I couldn't commit to 2+ gallons of laundry soap nor did I have a place to store it. My first batch was a little chunky because I put a whole bar of soap in it and not a cup like the recipe called for, but it works just fine, you just have to shake it up a bit before adding it to your load of wash. This is about $4 to make over a gallon, which is about 5 cents a load if you're curious. You can buy almost all the ingredients at a grocery store in the cleaning isle. Dr. Bronners castile soap bars are $2.99 at City Market in Burlington - cheap! I finally found some glycerin to make liquid hand soap (also at City Market), but still on the hunt for citric acid for my dishwasher soap. May have to order that, but I hear it's a super great shower cleaner as well!

Just something before I end this post : if you're trying to lose weight, realize that it's going to take lots of time, effort, sweat, and changing of habits. I am surely no expert on the matter, and I've tried time and time again but what has changed this time is the commitment. I find all the work has been worth it. Grabbing that dress from the back of your closet that you couldn't wear in years because it was way too small, then slipping it on and realizing it fits again - is a great feeling. You'll forget about all the work and the soreness. YOU are absolutely worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment