What's with the name?

What's with the name? In my mid-twenties, I had essentially gone through one kind of life and am starting to enter another. The people that are probably going to read this blog know exactly what I'm talking about - but for those who don't know, here's a brief rundown . Cheers to Chapter 2! A journey in health in many ways, and to be the best version of myself I can possibly be. I am also a blogger for GreenMommas.com. This is my blog.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Progress [Re]Defined

First of all, I apologize for not keeping up on my posts. It's been over two months! I know some of you might be thinking 'I bet she fell off the band wagon' or 'she became less dedicated'. Well, then, you don't know me. I've been busy! I ended our Slim it to Win it program down 20lbs (in four months), placing #4 overall. Still continuing to lose, little by little, down about 106 lbs total. Because the weight loss has been slower in the last few months, I feel like I should talk about something that has been plaguing me for so long: my relationship with the scale. Meaning, it's the ONLY definite indicator I have been using to document my progress.

A confession: I weigh myself way more than I'd ever like to admit. On a good day maybe once, on a bad day upwards of three times. What is the point in doing that? There isn't one. But I am attached. So, this post will hopefully be a bit therapeutic for me because even though the scale says I'm making 'little progress' there are so many other things that indicate huge progress when it comes to my health and fitness. I need to release myself from basing my value on a number. One number.

If I throw away the number what else do I have as definite progress? Progress is....being able to say no to dessert. Progress is smiling through a workout that would've left me flat on the floor last year. Progress is being able to lift 95lbs. Progress is liking what I see in the mirror, finally. Progress is zipping up in to a size 10 pair of jeans in disbelief. Progress is being able to shop anywhere I want. Progress is realizing how my body responds to certain foods, and adjusting nutrition accordingly. Progress is doing a 10 mile bike ride on a 'rest' day. Progress is being somewhat unrecognizable to friends you haven't seen in awhile. Progress is self-confidence. Progress is signing up for a race and not having to think that I can't run the whole thing. Progress is liking who I am, how strong I can be.

No matter the number, progress is this:


And progress, should be defined by how I feel: incredible. Amazing. Thrilled. Excited for life. Happy. Confident. Strong. I may have started last March, but there will be no definite end. There will always be new goals, new health priorities to achieve, and that - is exciting!

1 comment: